Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Free Webhosting

For the original post, just read past this bit. This is just a quick update on 000webhost - They're phenomenal - Not only have I had not so much as a second's reported downtime, I've had no timeouts, no issues updating and maintaining my pages, nor have I received any complaints from users of the sites - If you're into Bitcoin Faucets - check this one out for an idea of the quality (built from a Zyro template, free of charge,) BTCGrabber

But regardless, if you're looking for a free webhost that doesn't suck, check out 000webhost.com!


Original Post Below:

So I just tried out FreeHostingNoAds.net and boy was I disappointed.

I get that you get most of your revenue from paid subscribers, but does that mean that those of us just poking at the site to see if it's as worthless as others have told us it is should be completely ignored? You apparently feel it does.

So the question is why do you insist it should be so? So I can't do a damn thing with my site. The auto-install scripts work alright and I get the raw materials up there, but then I can't use them. I installed a phpbb system and I can't get to the control panel to moderate it without an error thrown from the server (bandwidth seems ridiculously throttled.) Installed jcow and after numerous attempts, managed to get signed in and to a spot where I could do a quick blog-post - then it crashed when I tried to submit.   Not available at this time. Then I try to get slick and ftp in to moderate the site on my local system. Nope, no dice as Filezilla and my native linux FTP client are both denied access at every attempt. What's worse is that even the on-site "File Manager 2" doesn't work for me as it's just a web-based ftp client that yields the same error message for me.

Try to open a ticket to get this taken care of only to find out that since I don't pay for the service, I don't get any questions answered (have already tried a quick Google search and don't find this 'web host' worth anything more than just that.) I try out all the free web servers to get an idea what they're paid product is like. I've got the idea now for this one - It's worthless

So now I will be closing out my account there and taking it over to 000webhost - they're not perfect, but I can edit my site there (or FTP in, download it, edit it here, then pop it back up,) and when I enter my URL, I go to my page, not an error screen because of bandwidth throttling.

Avoid freehostingnoads.net - they are the most absolute worthless 'service' I have ever made the mistake of trying. Won't do it twice and hopefully now you won't even have to do it once.

I will be posting a review of 000webhost soon (in the next month or two, once I've had more time to get a real feel for it,) but so far, it's not bad (actually, for a completely free web hosting service, it's pretty damn good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment